Sunday, March 15, 2009

3/15/2009

I made pretty good progress this week towards getting back to running. I ended the week with 99.5 equivalent miles (so close to triple digits ...) and 39.5 running miles. Not much of an improvement over last week in terms of running miles but considering that I spent three days in NJ at a wedding and drank more in those three days than I have in 15 years, not too bad.

On the leg-length discrepancy thing - I was not having much luck with the heel lift so I just ditched the inserts completely and went back to basics. I am now just using the standard inserts that come with the shoes and it feels pretty good. I am not having any issues with my hip or my knee (the torn meniscus) so I may just go this route. The original reason I got the inserts in the first place was that I strained my calf four times last summer while trying to ramp mileage. Once I got the inserts I was able to run injury free for a couple months. Maybe with the cross training that I am doing my body will be able to handle the mileage and I can run without the inserts.

Monday:
  • AM - (8 mi) I went for an hour on the elliptical trainer. Felt good. 8 equivalent miles.
  • PM - (8 mi) Easy 22:30, or 3 equivalent miles, on the bike and then ran 5 miles at about 7:30 pace. Felt decent, but I could still feel my hip.
Tuesday:
  • AM - (8 mi) Again, an hour on the elliptical trainer. 8 equivalent miles.
  • PM - (8 mi) Same as yesterday, I did an easy 22:30, or 3 equivalent miles, on the bike and then ran 5 miles at about 7:30 pace.
Wednesday:
  • AM - (8 mi) 8 equivalent miles on the elliptical trainer.
  • PM - 8 mi (58:00) I ran an easy 8 miles at work and it felt pretty good.
Thursday:
  • AM - (8 mi) 8 equivalent miles on the elliptical trainer.
  • PM - 8 mi (57:30) I ran a moderate 8 miles at work and it felt pretty good. No hip pain.
Friday: (12 mi) I had to get in the workout before we headed out for the wedding. I wanted to get in a bit more running so I ran 4 miles to the gym, did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer and finished up by running the 4 miles home. My hip did not bother me and I felt good the whole way.

Saturday: (13.5 mi) I had to squeeze the workout in before the wedding but did 60 minutes on the elliptical trainer and roughly 40 minutes of running. I felt pretty good and ran a bit faster than I should have to get back in time.

Sunday: (10 mi) I was really hung over this morning so I did not really feel like doing much of anything. This was the best I could do. I did 60 minutes on the elliptical trainer and 15 minutes on the stationary bike.

No comments: