Sunday, March 8, 2009

3/8/2009

My goal this week was to increase the number of miles that I run from 3mi/day in the beginning of the week to 4mi/day at the end of the week. I had a pretty good week and was able to achieve this with little or no pain in my hip. I was a little skeptical in the beginning of the week but by today I felt pretty confident that I am going to be back to 100% within 2 weeks. I did most of my time on the elliptical trainer and the stationary bike to get equivalent time. I was able to get in 32 actual miles run and a total of 96 equivalent miles.

The other thing that I am looking into this week is a possible leg-length discrepancy. Back in late 2000, when I was first starting to run again after tearing my achilles tendon, the orthopaedist that prescribed my orthodics mentioned that I may have a leg-length discrepancy but it was secondary to the over-pronation so we focused on that first. I have been using Sole inserts (specifically, these) for the last year with a lot of success instead of custom orthodics but I am looking at various heel lifts to see if they make a difference. In the words of the orthopaedist that I saw for my torn meniscus, it is all trial and error and I just have to find what works on my own.

Monday:
  • AM - I went for an hour on the elliptical trainer. Felt good. 8 equivalent miles.
  • PM - 30 minutes on the stationary bike and then 3 miles on the treadmill. It felt pretty good and, even though I was aware of my hip, it did not hurt. Pretty much 7:30/mi pace. 7 equivalent miles.
Tuesday:
  • AM - I went for an hour on the elliptical trainer again. 8 equivalent miles.
  • PM - 30 minutes on the stationary bike and then 3 miles on the treadmill. Pretty much 7:30/mi pace. 7 equivalent miles.
Wednesday:
  • AM - I went for an hour on the elliptical trainer again. 8 equivalent miles.
  • PM - 30 minutes on the stationary bike and then 3 miles on the treadmill. Pretty much 7:30/mi pace. 7 equivalent miles.
Thursday:
  • AM - I went for an hour on the elliptical trainer again. 8 equivalent miles.
  • PM - 30 minutes on the stationary bike and then 3 miles on the treadmill. Pretty much 7:30/mi pace. 7 equivalent miles. This was the first day that I tried a lift in my right shoe. It felt a bit weird so we will have to see how things go in the next couple of days.
Friday: I was a bit tired of doing the two-a-days this week so I just did one long workout today. I went for an hour on the elliptical trainer and then 4 miles on the treadmill (30 minutes). This was the first day at 4 miles and it felt good. This was a total of 12 equivalent miles. I ran with the lift again today and it felt alright. It was still a bit weird. The lift is only about 1/8th of an inch but it makes a big difference.

Saturday: It was 50+ degrees outside and I am sooooo tired of running on the treadmill so I decided to go out on a limb and run to the gym, which is about 4 miles away, go for 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer and then run home for a total of 12 equivalent miles. This was 8 miles of actual running and I felt pretty darn good. I am hoping that things keep going well.

Sunday: Another 50+ degree day and I decided to repeat yesterday's workout for a total of 12 equivalent miles and 8 actual miles. Again, this went well.

Overall, this was a good week. I am going to start up the week by running 4 miles/day and increase to 5 or 6 miles per day by the end of the week and increase the total equivalent miles to 100-110 miles for the week.

No comments: