Sunday, July 17, 2011


This was a short week to rest up from the last 4 weeks and because we have family staying at our house all week and I will just not get the chance to run as much as I should. I had one decent workout and one of the worst races in my life. I am going to try to forget this week....

: 10mi (71:20)
Tuesday: 6mi (43:21)
Wednesday: 8mi () 2.2mi warm-up (15:14), full-speed 200m, 4x800 @ 10k pace, 4x400 @ 5k pace and wrap up with another full-speed 200m. All rests were 1/4 distance and 1/2 distance between sets. Times were 28.0 (69), 2:39 (66), 2:38 (80), 2:35 (72), 2:32 (2:22), 73 (62), 75 (60), 73 (66), 72 (1:50), 28.8. I was a bit surprised that I was able to run the 200's so fast - that is the fastest I have run in a long time. The rest of the workout was alright given the heat and humidity.
Thursday: 8.4mi (60:41)
Friday: 8mi (57:00) Finished with 6x100m strides.
Saturday: 5.3mi (36:28) Felt good for race tomorrow.
Sunday: 11.5mi () 2.5 mile warm-up, Stowe 8 Mile race (46:40) and only managed to do a 1 mile cool down. I can wrap up the entire day with one work - BOLLOCKS!!! I was hoping to finally get in a good race but I do not run well in the morning, in the heat or in humidity. This was a perfect storm to kick my ass. Knowing this I went out conservatively with a goal of 5:30 pace and felt pretty good through the first 3-4 miles. I even started to push the first of the climb at around mile 4+ but as soon as I turned onto the dirt road I was in survival mode and my race was done. I probably lost a good 6-7 pounds on the run and was severely dehydrated the last half of the race. In the last mile both my arms and legs started cramping up and I could not even thing of pushing. I lost count but I think a good 10 people passed me in the last mile. My splits were:
1. 5:43 (long)
2. 10:55 5:12 (short)
3. ? ? (missed the three mile split)
4. 22:06 ? <- Right on pace for 5:30 goal pace
5. 27:48 5:41
6. 33:57 6:09
7. 39:55 5:58
8. 46:40 6:45 <- This is not a typo!

I was so dead after the race I tried to crawl through a mile cool down with little success. My legs cramped up for the next two days after this.

At the finish. Photo is from KrissyK's collection (DoubleJ's wife).

Completed: 57.2 miles

No comments: