Sunday, April 5, 2009

4/5/2009

I decided to take a break from running this week and just let my self recover, both mentally and physically. I was feeling really wiped out the last two weeks and unmotivated because of my hip so I need to do something to change things up and get back on track. I still worked out most days this week, but just spent an hour or so on the elliptical trainer. I will get back on track next week and take up running again.

The main exception to the week was on Thursday when I decided to commute to work on my bike. This does not seem like a big deal but I live 36 miles from work. I mainly just wanted to see if I could do it. In short, yes it is possible but it was not really that pleasant. The two biggest obstacles for me were the hills and the cold weather in the morning. I had to pass through Harvard, Massachusetts and anyone that has run the Apple Harvest Ramble 10 miler in Harvard knows how hilly it is there. I do not have cyclist's legs. I missed a turn on the way to work which cost me about 2 miles so it took me just a hair over 2 hours to get to work. I knew where I was going on the way home so it took me about 1:50 to get home. I was able to average about 22 miles per hour on the last 13 mile stretch up the Nashua River Rail Trail.

Next week I should be able to write about running ...

No comments: