Wednesday, November 21, 2012

11/19-11/25

This was a pretty good week because I got over 60 miles again, had a decent threshold run and did a nice long run. The only down side was that I tweaked my calf a bit and am going to take it easy for a couple days to make sure it does not turn into anything serious. I think that it is my peroneus longus on the right leg. I can still run with no pain - it feels like a slight soreness and it is a little tender if I push on it. I will try to do my normal routine next week minus the hard run and I will probably dial back the intensity a notch.

Monday: 8.25mi (59:33) Easy run to recover.
Tuesday: 10mi (68:49) Another easy day to rest up for tomorrow.
Wednesday: 11mi - 2.2mi warm-up (15:34) with 10k threshold run (34:14) and 2.6mi cool-down (17:58). I was planning on a redux of the 8 mile threshold run I did 3-4 weeks ago to gauge how my fitness was coming along but about 5.5 miles in the tape on my left foot started bothering me. I tape my arches for a little extra support during speed workouts and my foot must have swelled during the run. I decided to cut the run short and do just 10km. It took me a little bit to get going because my hamstrings and lower back were a bit tight for the first couple miles, but I felt pretty good the last 3 miles and felt like I could have maintained 5:25-5:30 pace for the last 2 miles if my foot had cooperated. My splits were: 5:35, 5:33, 5:29, 5:26, 5:27, 5:23, 78.Last time my average was 5:39/1600m for 8mi and this time it was 5:29/1600m, but for only 10km. I felt much better after the run than last time. Last time I was a bit wiped and my cool-down was at 8min/mi pace but this time I felt great and I ran the cool-down at 6:45/mi pace. Rest up the next couple days.
Thursday: 8.3mi (59:37) Nice easy run. I landed a bit odd on my right foot about 6 miles into the run and tweaked something in the side of my calf. I think that it is right where the peroneus longus attaches on the side of the knee. I slowed a bit for the last couple of miles and it seemed fine. Ice, foam roll and use compression socks.
Friday: off to let leg rest.
Saturday: 10mi (71:00) My leg was fine for the first 7-8 miles but then I became aware of it. It does not hurt, it feels more like soreness and it is slightly tender to the touch. Ice, foam roll and use compression again.
Sunday: 16.3mi (1:51:03) I ran really early this morning to get it out of the way. My leg was fine at the start but only 2-3 miles in I could feel it. I went for a while but at 6 miles I headed back for the car. By the time I got there my leg was fine so I kept going and was able to finish the run without feeling it again. Ice and use compression after run.

Total for week: 63.85mi

No comments: